How did you make a difference in the world today?

365 QOTD

How did you make a difference in the world today?

.....

Well, this one is not today, but can I make it count?

a.   I'm not really sure if the little amount of money I send to my friend to support Lumad kids in the southern part of the Philippines is really making any difference. But still, I hope it does. For one, my friend keeps organizing outreach programs for the kids and other activities so they can learn and be entertained.

I hope it does.

Now, this one.....

b.  Earlier this morning, I sort of made a rant post about a vice mayor of the city where I used to teach on one of the biggest school in the PH, because she didn't cancel the classes eventhough its very obvious that it has been raining very hard and most areas in the Metro Manila are flooded.

The post got shared 21 times. That is already a record for me coz I really don't post a lot. I tried to be calm when I was writing that letter just so it will appear offensive nor foul against anybody. I just really wanted her to understand my point of view.

So, this is the post:

TO MS BELMONTE,
It is good that you have considered the extent of reading progress and capacity of our dear students.
You have also mentioned that DISASTER RISK REDUCTION is the priority of the local government you are under.
Have you ever realized that RISKING A DAY of CLASS SUSPENSION might save LIVES?
"WE CANNOT SUSPEND CLASS EVEN THOUGH ITS F@%^&% $ RAINING AND ITS FLOODED ALMOST EVERYWHERE BECAUSE WE HAVE RECEIVED THE LATEST DATA OF 30% NON READERS IN ELEMENTARY AND HIGH SCHOOL." --- this is how I understand your logic. Also, are you even sure that it's JUST 30% of non-readers all over?
Reading isn't something just sharpened in school. It is practiced even outside school. Moreso, in their own homes.
Good that you expected that you will bashed for making such decision. Also, just to be clear, YOU DIDN'T RISK YOUR CAREER, YOU RISKED THE LIVES OF EVERY CHILD WHO WILL GO TO SCHOOL BECAUSE YOU SAID SO.
A day of suspension is worth lives, not just abilities.
You could have given yourself that good night sleep you felt you deserve and you could have given those parents chances to bond with their children and the teachers some time to rest and everybody a chance to look after their own safety.

Actually, I am not sure if this is kindness but I think, it, getting shared a few times, means there are a few people who share the same sentiment and I became the words for their own rant. LOL.

I can only hope and pray that any kindness and good things I wish for myself and others can make a difference to this world. I can only hope for it.......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's her time to go.

11 Sept 2023

29 Sept 2023