They Started Asking Why

Three more weeks before this school year ends. Sever weeks before calling it quits for this job.

As usual, I had stepped off the books. Today, we used strips of paper with questions like:
  Are you a child?
  What's your favorite _____?

This is sort of a formative evaluation for me as to how far they can follow instructions, read sight words, listening skills and comprehension level has gone.

It was all going well with 2 out of 3 kids. I had to assist the youngest one, while the other two are trying their best not to do direct translation of the questions to the first language. It was an ongoing struggle but we had to keep going. As the process of question and answer gets familiar, the answers are also composed using previously targeted language. The oldest boy suddenly burst out, "Why?" with this curious face and his hands open on his sides, obviously seeking for a reason.

As a teacher, I had to think on my toes and I cannot just cancel out the intent of the search for reason just so we can finish and get done with the day. A simple translation to "Nande?" the other kid got it. Struggled to find an answer but was able to deliver and the activity went on. I still ended up assisting the least-interested learner, just so he can join into the circle of Q&A. While the other two kids, they were able to throw out "Why?" as follow up question for their first questions.

There is an art in questioning and "Why" should be one of the most frequently-asked questions, in different structures, to be able to arrive a well-informed answer. This class has yet to learn that art. A very long way to go. But the attempt to ask the question "Why" is a classroom, in an education system that is traditionally teacher-centered, is something new. I am happy to witness that in my class today as the teacher.

A few more cycles for the strips of questions and we had to call it a day. I told them, "Kyou wa ureshikatta desu." With puzzled faces, one asked "Why?" and I answered, because you started asking "Why?"

Kyou, minna ganbatta ne.
Otsukaresamadeshita.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's her time to go.

11 Sept 2023

29 Sept 2023