17 Years Ago.

At 16, I graduated high school and that was 17 years ago. 


Out of the blue, Tita sent me a photo of me receiving medals during our High School Recognition Day. Two persons noticed that I wasn't happy on the picture. I kinda remembered that my high school graduation was some sort of dramatic actually in all forms. 

Nevertheless, grateful for the experience. Moving to that little town of Tiwi and studying at the barangay high school of Malinao opened up a lot of opportunities for me-- learning many things about what I never thought I can do like writing and photography, scholarships, travels, contests, discoveries. Both my titas made it all happen. They were strict, yet generous for things that they think will help me learn then. My grandmother was stricter-- waking me up early-- letting me do the laundry as soon as sun is up. 

During that time, I couldn't wait to get out of that house and just be free from their strict ways. But now that I am an adult, I realized that those simpler problems were way better than the problems of adulthood. LOL. 

That was my mom behind me. She had always been ever supportive of our educational goals and needs. She wanted to study college but she never had the chance. She was promised many things but ended up being enslaved for a time by relatives during her younger age. 

I grew up being told that graduating college, landing job and supporting the family will be part of my purpose in life. Since we are not rich and do not have properties nor business and was in a hand-to-mouth type of living, graduating was the only way out. Graduating with honors made it a bit more something to be proud of. 

My passion for education sprung up from there. I have experienced how having an education opened up my eyes to the world. I am still but a dot in it and still working on making a difference. I can only hope that I really am. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's her time to go.

11 Sept 2023

29 Sept 2023