Two years here and I am still puzzled.


Today is quite a day.

I had been throwing a lot of science concept curve balls to my student. I told him that I am just stretching his skills in explaining in the L2 (second language). If it were in the L1 (first language), he probably would be able to explain the chains of events I had been asking him about.

“I’m so bad at it.” He said.

“You have a very good education system in Japan and you are a very good student as well, these kind of things just takes a lot of practice. It doesn’t happen overnight.” I tried to tell him.

“I don’t think so. Japan education system is bad. Why do we have to learn /genome/ as /gi-no-mu/? Why can’t we just learn these words in their own language?” He muttered.

“Have you taken Japan history?” I asked.

“No, I cannot take Japan history as part of my academic track. I have to take World History.” He explained.

“There is so much love-hate relationship with regards to learning English in Japan that goes back to history of your society. And just like it Physics, we study concepts in parts, but we also put them together to understand how they interact with each other. Understanding how the things of the past should help you how to cope up with the challenges of today. That is, if that’s how your history teacher develops the lesson in class.” I said.

“Not at all. He would just be the one talking in class most of the time. It is really so boring.” His voice felt so much beaten.

“Oh well, there is so much to learn and to understand. But you are doing very well, you are able to explain to me the things and concepts I ask of you. Your challenge is how to see how these concepts are inter-related. I am really trying to give you tougher questions and concepts coz that’s what you really need.”

I cleaned the board, and looked at the clock. It’s time to call it a day.

“We will have more time to talk about these kinds of things next meeting. Take a good rest. You did very well today.”

In terms of numbers, Japan really seems to be doing very well in Math and Science. But in terms of communication in itself and how these students are honed up as productive citizens, there seem to be a gap into how the school is molding up and the expectations of the direct society and a totally different kind of view how the world sees Japan’s learning environment.

Two years here and I am still puzzled. I haven’t had the chance to step into any local school to see how the school works, nor had long chats with local teachers. Because….. I cannot speak Japanese well, the teachers are too busy, people here think that speaking someone in English would cost money. Another factor is that I am a Filipina, the stigma still remains.

So, for the meantime, let me just keep working with my kids in my chosen school. Just very few, but they all look promising.

Wherever I am, there will always be a good spark in teaching.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's her time to go.

11 Sept 2023

29 Sept 2023