What are the three things you need to do tomorrow?

365 QOTD

What are the three things you need to do tomorrow?

Clean up.
Attend Japanese class.
Assessment Cards of the kids

********
Today I did a little experiment with the level 5 class. In terms of the CFER level, for their age and level, they are already in the border of the A2 and B1 provided that constant interventions and exercises are given today.

The activities in the book are too easy and so I usually have to improvise other activities. Since there are four of them in the class, I tried to do Speed Chatting this time. The mechanics are the same of that in a speed dating activity with a 2-minute interval for the switch. The set of questions are either conditionals or listing of anything based from their personal experiences, with the challenge of being able to keep up the conversation flowing.

I was actually proud of the output of the activity, they were all into it, and willingly moving and sharing.

There were times that the allotted time was too short for them to completely express themselves, they were cut mid-sentence and have to move and start with the new question.

At the processing time, I asked them to describe their experience of moving around and asking and being asked different questions, which ones are the easy/hard ones and what made those easy/hard, if they used strategies to keep the conversation going and finally, I asked if they had a hard time letting go of a topic conversation and that they wish they were allowed to finish of what they have to say. no one answered and they said that because it was already time, they had to move.

This incident maybe small but it goes to show how they seem to respect set rules that they are willing to withdraw and let go of their own thoughts just because, the rule said it is time to move on. I would have asked for an extension, if I can't completely express myself just yet, I told them.

In the end, I mentioned that their ideas are valid and are being valued, if they think they need more time to collect their thoughts and finish what they were trying to say, they need to say so. Because part of communication is waiting time and thinking of the good words to fit the thought.

Overall, the activity went well and while I was in the shower this evening, I was imagining myself being able to conduct that activity in a bigger class, with a higher level of content. Well, I have kept the activity intact and hoping to use it again.

Next challenge is to think of another activity for this set of kids.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's her time to go.

11 Sept 2023

29 Sept 2023